Data Subject Access Request

The Data Protection (Jersey) Law 2018 provides you with a right to access personal data which is processed about you by a controller, such as Jersey Cares.


You can ask

  • Whether your personal data is being processed by Jersey Cares
  • Why your data is being or is going to be processed
  • What type of data it is
  • Who might be given data about you
  • How long the data is likely to be kept for
  • Where the data was collected from if not from Jersey Cares
  • About any automated decision making about your personal data and the reasons behind it
  • About safeguards in place where data is transferred to a third country (usually meaning outside Europe) or any international organisation


You also have rights to

  • Lodge a complaint with the Jersey Office of the Information Commissioner
  • Object to processing based on direct marketing, legitimate interest, or public function
  • Request rectification, erasure, restriction of processing (under certain circumstances)
  • Request for your data to be provided in a structured machine – readable format to give to another data controller
  • Request a copy of the data that Jersey Cares holds about you


Before making a subject access request

You can only ask for personal data about yourself, or about someone you have a right to ask about, such as a child you have parental responsibility for. If the information you’re requesting is not about yourself or someone you have a right to make a request on behalf of, your request may be refused.


If you would like to request information about Jersey Cares which is not personal information, you can make a ‘Freedom of Information’ (FOI) request.


Redactions and exemptions

Just like FOI, there is certain information which cannot be released as part of your subject access request. The reasons for this could be:

  • If there are personal details about other people

  • If there is information which is subject to ongoing court proceedings

  • If the information would reveal management information or other confidential information

If your information is redacted or withheld for any reason, we will inform you of this.


How to make a Subject Access Request

If you would like a copy of the personal data we hold about you, you can download our Data Subject Access Request Form or write to:


Data Protection Champion

Jersey Cares

C/o Salvation Army

Minden Street

St. Helier



You can also email us at [email protected]


To access what personal data is held, identification will be required.


We will accept the following forms of ID when information on your personal data is requested: a copy of your national ID card, driving license, or passport. A minimum of one piece of photographic ID listed above and a supporting document is required such as a utility bill not older than three months. If we are dissatisfied with the quality of ID provided, further information may be sought before personal data can be released.

You do not need to pay to make a subject access request.


Your right to complain

In the event that you wish to make a compliant about how your personal data is being processed by us, you have the right to complain to our CEO Carly Glover. If you do not get a response within 30 days or are dissatisfied with the response, you can complain to the Jersey Office of the Information Commissioner.

The details for each of these contacts are:


Carly Glover

Jersey Cares

C/o Salvation Army

Minden Street

St. Helier



Telephone 07700 722012 or email [email protected]


Office of the Information Commissioner – Jersey

2nd Floor

5 Castle St

St Helier



Telephone 01534 716530 or email [email protected]